Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Heading into the New Year

I love that God established seasons. He wanted to give some variety to nature, but also set a precedence for our lives, too. I can always look at different areas of my life and see that a particular season is occurring or has occurred: motherhood, wife-istry, depression, sickness, rejuvenation. Everything in life has a season, and I always recognize this the most at two points of the calendar year, New Year's and my birthday.

For my birthday, I reflect over the past year and how I have changed. I look at my dreams and aspirations and wonder how I can achieve them. I see how those same dreams and goals have changed or been accomplished. My birthday is a time to look inward and get a sense of who I have become over the past year.

On the other hand, New Year's prompts me to consider my outward changes. Have I lost weight? Or gained it? Am I doing anything to make my home a haven, better or worse? What skills do I want to sharpen or gain? I also look at my family and consider how I can work to make things better for us. What character issues do I see in my children? How can I help my husband more? Then I take all this into a big ball and mold it, in my mind, over the month of mid-December to mid-January, and I come up with some ideas and goals I want to see come to fruition over the next year. My prayer for this post is that you will be inspired to do the same. The following is the current list I am praying over. These are just my own thoughts, lifted to God, for some ideas and motivation.

Physical Self: tone my upper arms, more ab workouts, lose another 20 pounds
Mental Self: read more literary books, get some new cooking skills and recipes
Homeschooling: get more organized!
Kids: need more time with other kids their age/gender
Wife: maintain a neater house, make a cleaning schedule

No comments:

Post a Comment