Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Newest Obsession

I have been an avid reader my whole life, yet I never entered the realm of comics. I always associated that genre with boys, and my one attempt at reading a comic was purely to be able to strike up a conversation with a boy I liked in 8th grade. It was a TMNT and I didn't care for it much.

This week, my hubby and I watched the movie "Watchmen". I have heard so many conflicting opinions about this movie that I wanted to see it for myself. I am a huge fan of superhero movies and Batman is my ultimate favorite. I loved this movie "Watchmen". There were some very explicit scenes that we skipped, but on the whole, the movie was very interesting. I have always expressed my opinion of a true hero is one who makes the choice to be a hero, who has to override their own selfish desires to act. For example, the true hero of the "Star Wars" movies was note Luke Skywalker, but Han Solo. Han consistently put aside his own agenda to help and eventually ended up frozen on Jabba's wall for all his efforts. Luke was destined to become the Jedi knight. He simply had to live and follow the path marked out for him. My point is, the heroes of Watchmen were very realistically portrayed. For once, I have decided to read the book AFTER watching the movie.

I was amazed at the popularity of graphic novels, and even more so at my own ignorance of them. I am excited to begin reading Watchmen and have already discovered a list of must-reads. This is going to be my new reading list. Hmm. Maybe I can find one of War and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment