Friday, November 13, 2009

The Night Before

Why do kids have to vomit the night before a big event? My daughter awoke at 4:30 a.m. vomiting this morning, and we were scheduled to get on the road to drive home at 8:00 a.m. Why? I was up with her every 20 minutes as she bolted to the bathroom and then we both blearily climbed back on to our respective air mattresses and dozed until the next bout. All I could think about was what the heck made her so sick and would she be barfing into plastic grocery bags all the way home.

My husband flew home a few days ahead of us. The drive was going to be a solo trip, sort of, as I drove my van with my kids behind my sister and her family in their van. I was already exhasuted from the few days of extra vacation without my husband, but the two-hour vomit episode really sapped the last of my strength.

I had been looking forward to the four hours of driving to clear my mind and just enjoy the time with my kids. The scenery is pretty much the same all the way, flat. I was planning to put on the kid's favorite tunes in the back speakers and let my mind wander all over the next week, next month, and far beyond.

What I ended up doing was letting my sister drive my van while I dozed in the passenger seat for two hours, then took the last two hours for myself. We hit some serious traffic which prolonged the journey, but by that point I was just eager to be home. I enjoyed the extra chatting with my sister, and we analyzed the whole visit which was fun. No vomiting either.

No comments:

Post a Comment