Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Don't Judge a Book By it's Movie

I just finished reading The Runaway Jury by John Grisham. I enjoy reading his novels because they are full of interesting characters, suspense, and great plot lines. I can understand why Hollywood likes making Grisham novels into movies, but I don't understand why they can't stick to the book more.

The Runaway Jury movie, which I watched last night once I finished the book, is all about a trial involving guns. In the book the trial is about big tobacco. The movie focuses on Nicholas and his relationships within the jury, with a broader scope involving Fitch and the family members of the jury members. The movie focuses on the relationship between Marlee and Fitch, most of which is totally opposite than what is portrayed in the book. The Fitch character in the movie is very different from the book as well, although Gene Hackman matches the physical attributes perfectly. My thought when the movie was over: Meh. The book is infinitely better.

I wonder what John Grisham thinks of this. Yes, I know the movie is only "based on" the novel, but I wonder what he was thinking when he saw how much was changed between the two products. The movie has a lot of violence, including a fight scene between Marlee and one of Fitch's goons. I enjoy Grisham's novels for their intelligent story lines and plot twists, and for the lack of violence. It was interesting to see how violent the movie was compared to the book, and again I wonder what Grisham thought of that. Maybe I will have to search the web and see if anyone interviewed him on this topic.

I think this makes for an interesting analysis since so many Grisham novels have been made into movies. Next on my list is The Client. I've already seen the movie, but it was so long ago I really just remember bits and pieces of it.

Being an aspiring writer myself, I wonder what I would think if the option to turn my novel into a screenplay came up. No doubt that is one of the golden tickets of success, but would I want my novel, with all my creativity poured into it, in the hands of Hollywood, to be turned into something completely different. Would I let my work be morphed into something beyond what I imagined? I don't know and it may never happen, but it's interesting to think about.

I am taking a break between Grisham novels right now and reading Love Mercy by my absolute favorite author Earlene Fowler. Earlene mainly writes mysteries, my favorite of which is this one. Love Mercy is not a mystery and I really wasn't sure what to expect. When I started reading the novel, it was like talking to an old friend I haven't seen in a while. The characters, setting, and plot are so enjoyable and quick to draw you in, it was definitely hard to put down. I love Earlene's style of writing and her ideas for stories are realistic and believable. When some of her characters from the mystery novels popped up in this novel I was so happy to see them again, and it was very natural the way they appear. Love Mercy is really wonderful book so far.

What else is going on in my brain? I am almost finished with my green and white scarf and a pattern for another scarf is bobbing around in my head. Homeschooling has been very relaxed this week due to the BIG STORM covering this area this week. I am very thankful I did all my grocery shopping on Sunday! There is very little so enjoyable as a rainy day inside a house chock full of food, good people, and fun activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment