Saturday, March 20, 2010

Medical March

This month had been a series of medical issues for our family.




Our 6-year-old daughter had to have an emergency appendectomy at the beginning of the month. It was a shocking experience. It was shocking in the way it started, with complaints of right-sided pain, shocking in the way we had to decide to let the doctors cut her open and remove something, and shocking to see her wheeled away from us deep in sleep, she herself unaware of what was going to happen to her. But she recovered very well, and perhaps most shocking was the fact that she was outside riding her scooter three days after her surgery.




I found myself back at the hospital two days after my daughter's discharge with my youngest son who had been struggling with an ugly cough for the past week and then complained his ears were hurting. Great. Back we went and for the next week and a half I was dispensing antibiotics to two kids, not fun.



A week later, I went in for my own surgery. I had the same surgeon who had operated on my daughter which was a bit weird. I mentioned to the surgeon during my preop visit that I had just met him the previous week when he operated on my daughter. He agreed it was weird! I think he did me a huge favor by scheduling me first on my date of operation. I checked in at 5:30 a.m. and was home by 11:30 a.m. This is a picture of my recovery area at home. I splurged on a new Bed-in-a-Bag and my mom and sister sent me some flowers. I have a stack of DVDs and a new BH&G magazine. It has been the perfect spot to recuperate.I also changed the pictures on the wall to some lovely Van Gogh prints that were hidden away so they feel new again.

1 comment:

  1. I love bed in a bag splurges! Beautiful! Good thoughts for recovery.

    ReplyDelete