Monday, January 10, 2011

The Night Life or I'm Too Old to Stay Up So Late

When I was in my twenties, I could stay awake until the wee hours of the morning, get a few hours sleep, and then work an wight-hour day, no problem. In my thirties, I just can't do it anymore, but I still think that I can.

We stayed at a friend's house playing Scrabble (my favorite game and, yes, I won the first game) last night. They have three kids and a Wii so the grown-ups actually got to have time on their own. We ended up staying until after midnight and the yawns around the table were getting progressively longer and uglier. While one adult seemed to be getting more amped up as the night wore on, the rest of us were getting red-eyed and quiet. Time to go home.

After getting home and tucking in the kids, I finally got to bed around 1:30am. I woke up at 10am (to the question, when are you getting up, mom? We're hungry.) The kids had already been up for a while, but thankfully they let me sleep in. Shouldn't that be enough sleep, nine hours? I could have slept for a lot longer! What happened to the days of five hours of sleep and then charging through the day and then another late night?

I knew I had to get the kids to science class by 12:30pm (I spent an hour knitting and reading my Kindle) and that I wanted to get some schoolwork done (thank-you notes for language arts) before then, so I got up and got moving pretty well (made quick breakfast and drank my weight-loss shake). But now, the crushing tiredness is upon me. My husband is already snoring on the couch. He had the day off, forced furlough, and took care of all the laundry at the laundromat with our youngest child. Great man.

I have a full night of work ahead - four hours of transcription are waiting for me. I need to get the coffeepot going, but I think I may take a quick 15-minute snooze. That's another change, the 15-minute nap. Even if I just lay for 15 minutes and think about what I need to do, not really sleeping, I get up and feel energized, at least for a while. In my twenties I don't remember ever taking a 15-minute recharge snooze, it was all or nothing. It was a 3-hour nap or just keep moving.

So, I'm groggily off to work. In 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment