Monday, May 2, 2011

So This Was My Day


I got in some Me Time today that was sorely needed after so many days on duty solo with the kids. I really don't know how single moms do it! My max is about four days nonstop with the kids. I love them, I do, and I love my life, yes. But, I also love silence and solitude and very rarely can these loves all mix. This picture is from my first stop during Me Time to Starbucks. I snagged a table in the sun and enjoyed my iced venti vanilla latte while I read the Saturday Big Tent Wedding on my Kindle. Perfect.

I made a quick shopping trip to Target and then zipped to Joann's where I bought...nothing. I have so many projects on the needles right now there wasn't anything I could think of to buy. With a clear conscience. Of course, I can always find something, but nothing struck me.

My last stop was to the drug store. There was a man sitting outside collecting money for homeless women and children. I never have cash. Never. It's a bad habit, I know, but I use my ATM card for everything. Anyway, he asked me to please remember to give him a donation on my way out and I said, sure.

I like to be a woman of my word, so after my shopping, I got some cash back. I went back outside and said, "See? I didn't forget about you," as I stuffed the money in the box and smiled at him. His reply, "Thank you. And, you know, just in case no one told you today, you're very pretty." Now, let me tell you, even if I had just paid him to say that, it was worth it. Because, no, no one told me that today and I really, really needed to hear it. Really.

I think I probably looked stunned, stammered, "Oh, thank you," to which he replied, "I mean that. I really do." And then I just smiled and walked to the car. Wow. That made my day. Even if he says that to every man, woman, and child who comes out that door and makes a donation, I'm taking that compliment and tucking into my pocket to keep forever. Because even if it isn't true or sincere, it made me feel pretty, and I needed to feel like that right then. Definitely a highlight of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment