Sunday, June 19, 2011

Indians Opening Day

This weekend Professor X had opening day for his baseball team. The season has started off kind of rocky. I signed him up late, but luckily he got on a team anyway. Unluckily, he got a real jackass for a coach.

This coach called a ten minute parent meeting without a scheduled practice. So I had to go all the way to the park just to hear him introduce himself and repeat everything he said three times. I had reservations about this guy from the start. In his introduction speech, he mentioned that parents shouldn't get upset if he yells at their kid, that he's just a loud guy and not to be bothered by that. Hmm. Sounds to me like he's already had some problems. Another thing is that he doesn't have a kid on the team. He's a volunteer coach recruited by the park staff since his kids used to play sports there but are now too old. The point is he gets to practices late and doesn't schedule anything ahead of time. It's almost all spontaneous as he can work it into his work schedule. And did I mention he's ugly? Yep. He's really ugly. Our coach is a really ugly guy who yells. Not good.

My biggest issue with this guy is that he has totally slacked off on getting uniforms for the team. We had plenty of time to order them for opening day, but beyond a, "yeah, we'll have uniforms," not one word has been said. Opening day uniforms were gray baseball pants and plain blue t-shirts, whatever cap the boy wanted to wear. Really? That totally sucks! These boys need to feel like a team on opening day! They were a ragtag group of mismatched shirts and caps walking behind their banner. Almost all the other teams were looking good in uniform shirts with names on the back, team caps, and big smiles, as you can see in the photo. Our team, the Indians, looked like a group of kids pulled in off the street to hold the banner. Totally sucked.

But, wait! There's more. As the team is getting ready to approach the field, a good 5 minutes before they were announced, I walked over to the team, now holding their banner, and called out to Professor X that I was going to take a picture. As I moved in closer, the coach grabbed Professor X, who had turned toward me and smiled,  told him to turn around, away from me, and to pay attention. Jigga what? I could not believe the nerve of this guy. I felt myself getting angry, like I wanted to laugh in this guy's face and tell him off, but instead, I got a little closer, said X's name even louder, and took the picture as soon as he looked at me. Then I looked straight at that ugly coach and just laughed and shook my head. What a jackass!

I'm happy Professor X is on a team. He really enjoys playing sports and being with other kids his age. I don't know about this jackass of a coach, though. I have a feeling it's going to get ugly, even uglier than he is.

1 comment:

  1. Organized sports are so much fun when you are a kid!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't seem to find your email address, to respond, but thank you so much for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete