Saturday, July 2, 2011

Weekend of Me - Saturday

This is the weekend I'm spending on my own, no kids, no husband, just me. I didn't make any plans and actually the trip was really spontaneous, so I'm just going with whatever I feel like doing.

Friday night I spent doing some knitting and watching movies. I couldn't really settle into anything, but watched parts of Notting Hill, Sense and Sensibility, and then Sleepless in Seattle which I let play all night. I'm not used to sleeping alone, so I left Sleepless going all night. When I would awaken occasionally during the night and the movie was over, I restarted it. Silly, I know.


Today I woke up feeling so heavy, the weight of all my circumstances on my shoulders. A little time in prayer and in the Word, and a quick hello from a friend, and I was feeling mucho better. I spent the morning watching my all-time favorite movie, "When Harry Met Sally", and I finished the black arm warmer I've been working on, yay! Eventually, though, the walls started closing in and I knew I needed to get out amongst other humans for a bit.

I headed to the movies to see Transformers. I wanted to get the perfect seat, in line with the projector, towards the back, but of course, the theater was really small so the projector was in line with the main aisle ripping the theater in halves. Okay. I got a seat near the aisle about halfway back and had plenty of room to put my feet up and relax. Until the family of five decided to sit right in front of me. Really? You have the whole stinking theater and you have to sit right in front of me? You see I have my feet up! What the? It's kind of like when you have a nice new car, maybe even your dream car, and you choose a parking spot far away from every other car and possible parking spot, but some jackass decides to park right next to you. Yeah, it's just like that. Of course, I moved my feet so they could sit, but even when the dad sat down, he looked at where my feet had been, like he's checking to make sure I moved them. Jackass.

Thankfully, the movie did not disappoint. The action scenes were plentiful and the special effects were perfect. Thumbs up. And Shia is one of my favorite actors to watch. He's really good at running and jumping and looking frustrated by the government.

Afterwards, I headed over to a shopping center to browse around before heading back to my temporary pad. I was so bummed that the glass gallery that displayed glass chocolates is no longer a glass gallery, but more of a bead store. No glass chocolates in the window to drool over. I guess that's a sign of the times. Why buy glass chocolate when you can buy the real thing and actually eat it?


I headed to a very small yarn shop after that and found some interesting needles I had to have. They are stainless steel, made in China by a brand called ChiaoGoo. The package states on the front, "Knit Red". Now what exactly does that mean? I always joke around about China being Communist, so I could not resist getting these needles. Are they implying that I should be knitting Communist? If I use these needles am I a Communist knitter? Will my knitted projects be considered Communist if I use these needles? I love it! I can't wait to show them to my very uptight, conservative, Commie-phobic father! Good times!

The lady in the shop was a little weird. This is an extremely small yarn shop and I cannot imagine how it stays in business. I noticed this time that everything now has price tags on it whereas when I was in the shop previously nothing had a price tag. When I was ready to purchase the needles, I had to wait at the counter for a good five minutes for the shop owner to come over and help me. She seemed astonished that I was buying something. Now, granted, I'm in shorts and a t-shirt that says Talk nerdy to me, but hey, I'm also carrying my knitted bag. I must not look like the typical knitter she sees in her store so I guess it's probably good I didn't ask her if she had any needles with skulls on them. (seriously I want some of those! They're awesome!) Then, when I whipped out my ATM card to pay, she gave me a hard time. She asked me if I was sure I didn't have cash and I saw her look at my purse when I was pulling my wallet out. Dang! Really? I would think she would be happy just to sell something! I understand she has fees to pay, too, but when she told me, "I'll let it slide this time," I felt like saying, "Look, lady, I'm 36-years-old. I don't even need these needles! I'm buying them as a joke! So shut your wrinkled face!" But what did I do instead? I just looked at her and didn't smile. Ooh! That showed her! Yeah, right.

I headed to Target after that and hit the jackpot, Shiner Bock beer! Shiner Bock is a beer that is brewed in Texas and not easy to find here. It's my favorite beer. I like the flavor and I really enjoy drinking it even though it is a rare event. I bought what I needed to make nachos also and headed back to the pad. Since then, I have just been relaxing and watching episodes of Fringe. Good times.

All in all, this has been a relaxing day of putting everything out of my mind and focusing on being in the moment. Being a very social person, I do miss conversing and joking around with someone. So far I'm the only one laughing at my jokes. But I have a pot of coffee going, two more dvds of Fringe, and all night ahead of me. Maybe I'll start a Communist knitting project.   

No comments:

Post a Comment