Monday, October 3, 2011

Today is going to be very busy. I'll be running the kids around to three classes, going to the laundromat, then getting us all to the park for practice and a game by 5pm. I'm not looking forward to it. But mentally, I'm hoping this will be a good day. Keeping myself busy is one of the best ways to not stay in my head so much.

This weekend was really laid back. I basically sat on the couch with DH and watched TV, Parks and Rec and football. It was nice and something I don't let myself do very much, but now I will. I spent all Saturday watching a BBC miniseries called The Buccaneers about American girls finding husbands in London. The acting was so-so but the storyline was interesting. There were four episodes and in between each one I got up and did a little housework, mostly dishes, before I started the next. It felt great just letting myself sit and relax. DH slept through the first two episodes and then woke up for the last two and started asking me questions about who was who and what was going on. Really?! I told him I would explain it to him later because I wanted to finish watching! Ha ha! I loved his willingness to let me watch what I wanted, and then he took a nice long nap on the couch next to me. It was a great afternoon. I didn't mind that he fell asleep and he didn't mind that I wanted to watch a BBC miniseries all day. A good compromise!

I didn't meet my knitting goal of finishing the Halloween arm warmers, yet. I'm hoping to get them done today while the kids are in art class. I also have the raspberry arm warmers to finish and the scarves for my sister. I need my knitting mojo back! I have a lot to do. Plus Christmas is coming up and I really want to have my Etsy shop going before the end of this month. We'll see. I may need some more early mornings just for knitting! I wonder if that would get me up? I set up a chair and table on the front porch so I can sit out there to read, but it would also be a terrific early-morning knitting nook. Hmm.

I started reading The Life of Pi. I saw this book at Barnes and Noble, was intrigued by the cover, and then bought it for my Kindle. The story is very interesting so far. Pi's family runs a zoo in India, and I love that. I'm fascinated with zoos and the whole wild animal in a cage dynamic. The author has a wonderful way of pointing out the benefits of the animals living in captivity versus the wild. It's also based on a true story, which is one of my favorite things to read, too. Should be good. I got bored reading The Vampire Lestat. I skimmed ahead in the book, got the basic gist of the story, and now I've lost interest. I don't know why I do that! I just have to know what's going to happen, but then sometimes that ruins the rest of the story for me and I don't care to finish it. I tell myself, "Well, I already know what's going to happen. What else can I read?" Dumb, right? I do this with movies, too, though with far less regret. I love to spoil a movie and then watch it. Love it. I need to know what's going to happen and I don't like surprises or being kept in suspense. I wonder what that says about my personality?

Our trip the fair was fun, but very expensive. We planned to eat there and oh wow, did we spend some money! I'll post the pics and all that on another blog. But we spent the day walking around, this is our 3rd year in a row going, and we realized we were seeing the exact same things we saw last year, and the year before. Why do we keep going? I don't know. We said this was our last year, but of course, now the kids want to enter projects for next year. Meh.

I'm off to start this busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment