Monday, October 17, 2011

Well, we had a very laidback weekend. I was taking care of DH after his hernia surgery, which went very well and he seems to be getting back on his feet okay. We literally did nothing but sit on the couch and watch TV and doze. That's mostly what he did at least. I was there knitting or reading or farming.

I loaded up my Kindle with samples, looking for my next great read, and I think I've decided on Before I Sleep, by SJ Watson. It's a thriller and I need some type of escape from everyday life right now so this is probably a good one.

I started and finished Talking God by Tony Hillerman, a book that my dad suggested to me and even bought for me. Hillerman is one of my dad's favorite authors. When I visited Vegas this summer, my dad and I went to a used bookstore and he bought about 10 Hillerman novels, telling me that we'll read them together. And then I didn't read the one he gave me. And then I still didn't. And then I still didn't. And now, I finally read it, and he's already read all the others! Doh! But he was so pleased that I read it and wants to send me another one. I put off reading it because it didn't seem like a book I would pick for myself. But it was actually a good read. The story moved at a good pace and the characters were interesting. The ending was a little too neat for my taste, but on the whole I enjoyed the book. And I'm sure I'll enjoy the next Hillerman my dad sends, a lot quicker than I enjoyed this one!

My DH suggested I read Tolkien, starting with, of course, The Hobbit. I started it on Saturday and I didn't want to put it down! I am so surprised at what an easy read it is. I guess I was expecting a lot of Middle English (or would that be Middle Earth?) language and description. There is a lot more telling than showing, but he tells the story in such a way that my imagination works out the scene on its own. Plus, seeing the movies definitely adds a lot as far as imagery goes and what I picture when Gandalf is fighting goblins or talking to elves. So this is one case where I am happy to have seen the movies before I read the books. Interesting!

It was a great knitting weekend, not for getting things done, but just for the sake of knitting. I have several projects going right now and I love them all! I worked on my busy blanket, a scarf for my sister, another scarf for my sister, and got a lot of ideas for new projects I want to make. I got to see part of a Knit and Crochet Today episode about adding a lining to a purse. So simple! I'm amazed at how sewing techniques are so simple, but the idea of them is so daunting to me. I just need to get in there and do it!

Today will be a busy day. I kicked it off with 15 minutes on the treadmill and now some blogs and coffee. Having the kids take care of their own breakfast is one of the best ideas I've ever had. I definitely have more time to myself in the morning and that is really good for me. I'm on the down part of this depression cycle right now. Boo. I can feel it. I need to be more proactive here to stop the drop from being as steep or quick. At least I can recognize it now. Plus, I didn't go anywhere this weekend and I think that might not be good so many days in a row.

So, here's to hoping this day will be a good one for me and for you! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment