Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Blahs

I am so sick of myself right now. I knew I shouldn't have eaten that corn dog and chili fries for dinner, and popcorn and Jujy Fruits and Junior Mints in the movie. I told myself, "Don't order anything. Eat some cereal at home later." Did I listen to myself? Nooooo. And now here I am, feeling like a fat, bloated loser. Boo.

The good side is that this is the motivation I need to get out and run tomorrow morning. I bought some running pants so I can't use cold weather as an excuse anymore. I am hoping, fearing, no, ready to die if I can't roll my fat behind out of bed early and get my run on. (That's partially a movie quote from Emma, btw) So, the trick is to lay my clothes out right next to my bed and program the coffee to be finished right when I get back. I think I can. I think I can. Well, I KNOW I can, but the question is will I? Tune in tomorrow.

This day is the last of winter break. Homeschool starts back tomorrow and I am planning to work these kids so much they will feel like they need a vacation by the end of the week. I am so happy to get our routine going again. No more video game gluttony, no more Jon and Kate Plus Ei8ht marathons on Netflix (actually, to be honest, I'll miss those). The kids will get up and have breakfast and dive into schoolwork, not to surface again for hours and hours. I think I have some good stuff planned though. Tadpoles, skits, and math, lots of math. Note to self: find out where to buy tadpoles.

I don't have any good books to read right now. I hit a dry spell and then couldn't buy anything for my Kindle. Nothing interested me the past couple days so I reverted to my standbys, Grisham novels. The Rainmaker and The Runaway Jury are my very favorites and remain close to my kitchen table for lunch time reading. I have Firestarter and The Life of Pi to finish, but nothing is drawing me in. I have yet to find another book that makes me want to spend the whole day wrapped in it. I need another Sue Grafton novel or Tony Hillerman. Thankfully a library trip is planned for tomorrow's agenda.

We saw an interesting movie today, "Tintin." The graphics were amazing, totally, completely amazing. The characters and scenery looked real even though it was some kind of digital animation. The storyline was complex and I was pleased, but concerned my youngest son would get bored. (This irritates me b/c movie tickets are so expensive and he sleeps through most of them) However, he stayed awake and paid attention through the whole film. I thought it was sort of a Young Indiana Jones-ish movie. There was a lack of female characters, and this didn't really bother me much, not like it usually does. My daughter didn't mention it either. I think there was enough action and interesting dialogue to keep us all intrigued. Two thumbs up.

Winter break is now at an end. Did I accomplish everything I wanted to accomplish? No. But I did relax a lot and I did pay attention to myself more than usual, choosing not to care about things I can't change. That's one of the secrets I've learned, choosing. I am choosing joy. I am choosing my family. I am choosing myself. I am choosing to not care about other people's drama and the maelstrom they try to create in my life. I choose to be happy.

Already this year is off to a good start. Now, if I can just get out of bed and run tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment