Saturday, April 7, 2012

Bustin' Out the Backyard

When we moved into this house last year, we gained a huge backyard. There is nothing back there, except a couple ficus trees and a small avocado tree. Well, I should say, there is nothing worth keeping, except those trees.

Here is a list of what is back there: a square metal pole standing in three feet of concrete that was for a satellite dish that is no longer there, a concrete planter or something that is four feet square and full of weeds and an old tree stump, a dead bush, an old tree stump, and rocks. Rocks and rocks and rocks. A lot of rocks.

So, in order to fulfill my vision of having an outdoor family space, we have some work to  do. The funny thing is that I don't mind this work. I'm excited to get back there and clear weeds and rocks and demo some concrete if it means this summer we'll have an awesome yard. My hubby can't understand it. He hates yard work.

I asked him to buy some pavers (square slabs of brick) so I can make a cooking area, like an outdoor kitchen. I turned a 10'x10' area of grass and rocks and I had enough pavers to start, but I need more. Then, while we were at Home Depot getting those, I asked him to look at sledgehammers. Whoa! His eyes bugged out a little on that one! So, not only did we get the pavers and the sledgehammer, but also two pairs of work gloves.

I'm starting to like going to those kind of stores! I've always dreaded having to go to Home Depot or Lowe's, not sure why. Probably it has something to do with my childhood and having to assist my stressed out father with projects. I don't know. I've blocked those memories. But for now, I love to browse and get ideas for things I want to do around this house. This home.

Here us the area I'm paving. I had to start over in the corner, as per the Home Depot suggestions. It's been quite a process. I had to hoe all the grass out and then get all the huge rocks out. There's a slight incline here, too, so making it even has been a challenge.

This is the concrete planter/thing. I don't know what this was supposed to be, but it's completely unattractive. We demolished it! I started and my hubby finished. I think I will sleep better tonight knowing this thing is no longer lurking in the backyard. I loved using the sledgehammer. Definitely a great stress release.

I just love the way this yard is coming together. I used the weed whacker and cut back all the weeds and grass. There is a swing under an EZ Up and I like to sit out there in the morning and make my phone calls while I enjoy my coffee. As soon as we get some patio furniture, I'm making this my office/reading nook/knitting corner.

Just one more reason to love this house!


No comments:

Post a Comment