Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Date Night - Thai Food and Cell Phones

How has your weekend started? It's Saturday morning and I am writing while two of my kids are watching television and my DH is with our oldest son getting a physical for football. It feels like a good start to our day!



Last night we had our weekly date and tried a new Thai restaurant. Delicious! Thai food is one of my favorite flavors. I love pad Thai and satay chicken, so good! For dessert they serve sticky rice with sliced mango. Now, the sticky rice varies between restaurants. I've had it taste plain and creamy or sweet and creamy, but last night it was salty and creamy which went well with the sweet mango. Interesting combinations and absolutely yummy!


After our date we headed to the mall to upgrade my phone. This was a necessity since a short person who lives in this house, who shall remain nameless, dropped my phone while waving to a friend. The phone hit the asphalt really hard on its corner, this rendering the silent button and headphone jack completely useless. Also, the sleep button refused to work even intermittently as it had been. Ugh!

You don't realize how much you need certain features of your phone until they're gone! That sleep button is a necessity. For the last three weeks, I have had to carry my phone in my hand until it shut off, a good full minute, because if I put it in my purse apps would get activated or people would be called. Yikes! I looked like a phone addict with that thing in my hand all the time. It was frustrating.

Then the headphone jack, yes, also a necessity. We drive through a canyon and besides that our radio reception is choppy so we use the radio stations through the phone while we drive. You have to be able to plug the phone in to the car kit to do this, which was impossible since it was broken. So we've been driving in silence or listening to my iPod over and over. And over and over. And over and over. You see? Headphone jack is a necessity.

Think about how many situations you are in that require a silent phone. A lot, right? Well, I had to leave my phone in the car A LOT since the ringer somehow was damaged, even though it was in silent mode when dropped, and the ringer would not turn off. Not just that, though, it was full volume! I have no clue how that happened from the drop.

Here are a few places you can't take your phone when it's full volume:
Church (I don't want to be that person!)
Movie theater (I don't want to be that person either!)
Meetings (any kind, nobody want to be interrupted by a phone)
Library (this has happened to me a few times and those librarians can be vicious!)



So, you see, I HAD to get a new phone. I've been using an older iPhone that someone gave me, which was absolutely cool. Now I have a Samsung SkyRocket, super cool name, right? I love it! The screen is huge and it works so stinkin' fast I'm amazed.

Did I mention the phone guys managed to upgrade DH's phone, too? Yep. These guys were good. My DH had no intention whatsoever of upgrading his phone! None! He was adamant. But then he saw the iPhone, not the newest one, but one newer than his. It was love at first sight and he had to have it. I'm happy for him! He never treats himself to things like that and he deserves it.

After our phone fun, we headed home, put the kids to bed, and spent the rest of the evening cuddled up in our separate corners playing with our phones. Sigh. It was awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it all worked out in the end. Glad you were able to get a new phone. I am still in the dark ages with a very very old phone. I want to upgrade to a smart phone... I am on the phone all day at work, so hardly use one..but I know if I get one of those...Oh boy... Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete