Saturday, November 24, 2012

Home Sweet Home

We visited my dad in Las Vegas for Thanksgiving. The whole trip was my idea. I have wanted to see my dad in Vegas for a while and this seemed like a great time to invite myself and my family to his house. Ha ha! He said we are welcome anytime, so why not?


We had a good visit. I love to see my dad. Not pictured here is my nephew who lives with my dad and stepmother. He is autistic and the older he gets, the more of a challenge it is for him to have his routine interrupted with people, especially other kids, in the house. It was a challenge for all of us this time. My kids know what to expect. We were hoping to hit a movie with everyone, but that didn't work out this time.

Highlights of the trip!

I went shopping with my stepmother ON Thanksgiving evening. This was a new experience for me! Usually I am content to relax at home after cooking and eating all day. BUT, each child of mine needed a new pair of shoes. Kmart had a BOGO sale on shoes Thursday night! I had to go! I got each of them a pair of tennis shoes and Princess O also scored some cute boots. Success! Then we headed to WalMart for a couple toys that were on sale, Barbies and Hot Wheels. Success! The crowds weren't too bad. I was surprised. I attempted to purchase some knitting needles on the JoAnns Fabrics website, but the wifi was so slow I couldn't do it.

My dad was very excited to watch Prometheus with me and DH. I rented it from the Redbox and we spent Friday afternoon mesmerized by this Alien prequel. Have you seen it? This was my second time watching and I felt like I understood a lot more. I don't like watching a movie and not knowing what to expect, which is how I went into Prometheus the first time. (I am constantly asking questions during movies.)


Here are the boys and grandpa ready for breakfast at IHOP. Going here for breakfast concerned me because I had consumed so many calories the day before. Would IHOP have healthy options??!! Yes! The menu included several Healthy and Fit options, thankfully. I ordered egg whites with wheat toast and turkey bacon with a side of fruit. The calorie count was below 500 and food was very satisfying. I think I am learning a lot about keeping my diet healthy even when eating out. I definitely believe it's worth the effort!

Did I mention I ran 2 miles Thanksgiving morning? Yep! Then I ran another 2 miles the next day while the kids were at the park with DH and my dad. So add Nevada to my list of states in which I have gone running! I was so excited to run in Vegas, just in my dad's neighborhood. Wouldn't it have been so easy to not run for four days? Yes. But my commitment to losing this weight is solid! I only missed one day. I went for a 3 mile run when we got home today. I'm so proud of myself!

Knitting goals for the visit were almost accomplished. I finished knitting a gray bag, just need to weave in the ends. During Prometheus, I almost finished the brown tweed mobius scarf I've been working on. I am trying to not be so hard on myself when I can't get some knitting done. I have pushed all my Etsy projects to next year. So there. I am focusing on Christmas gifts right now.



I am now the official road trip driver for my family, yay! This started out as the plan since DH would be working all day before we hit the road. He ended up not having to work, but I still got behind the wheel. Why? Because I hate the way he drives. I get stressed out! He gets mad, although he never admits it. This trip was much more enjoyable for me and for him. I put together some new music for the trip and had a blast complaining about all the other drivers while DH messed around on his phone. And we made great time! We hit Vegas in 3.5 hours, boo-yah! I also drove us home today in 4 hours. At that point, DH announced I was the new official road trip driver. Woo hoo!


This picture is blurry because this dog will not hold still. We left her at home and paid our neighbor to come feed her and take her out. PB was not happy being left alone for two days. I swear she has more gray on her face now than when we left. She kept crying and barking for a long time when we got home. Poor girl.


I treated myself to some chocolate today and this was on the inside of the wrapper. Inspiration to finish well this month! "Get out there and make your dreams happen!"

1 comment:

  1. WOW you go girl. You ran in another State. SO proud of you.
    Sounds like your FAMILY time was wonderful, IHOP and all!!!

    IM an so not the family driver....You rock

    ReplyDelete