Monday, January 7, 2013

Here's the Thing

I've been busy knitting and finishing up a few projects. And the finishing is what I dread. I don't like lining up pockets. I don't like attaching i-cord. I don't like winding bobbins. I know these are necessary tasks, but I dread them.

I think it's because I worry the final product will be flawed. I sweat over edges, pinning and eyeing, silently swearing when it doesn't come out just so. I dislike redoing things. But that is the necessary task, too, sometimes! Maybe it's the redoing I dread. After so much time and energy invested in a project, though, I want it to be perfect.

Maybe I should stick to scarves and cowls and hats. Anything I can just  bind off and be done! Maybe I need an assistant to do all the finishing up work!

I love to knit. I know I may never become rich from selling what I knit. My etsy shop, stinkR, may always be small. That's okay. What I love is the creative process. I love getting a vision for something and choosing the perfect yarn and needle size. I'm Dr. Knitenstein, knitting and purling my creations to life.

After a full evening of finishing a couple bags tonight, I'm spent. It's a good tiredness. I'm satisfied with the final products and I am just waiting for tomorrow's sunlight to get some good pictures. I think I will reach my goal of listing 10 new items on stinkR by Valentine's Day.

On another note, I've been watching Mad Men while working tonight. I enjoy the show. The characters are complex and the dialogue is well done. But, seriously, all that sex? Let's get real, people. Don Draper was drinking and smoking all the time and probably had terrible breath! No woman's hair looks that good after being pinned up all day and then just shaken loose! Show me Mr. Draper popping a mint or Joan waking up with her make-up smeared under her eyes and I can relate a little better! I know, I know, it's not real life, okay. But I'm just saying...

1 comment:

  1. I rarely do any knitting requiring finishing. It defeats me. I worry about the fit so very much.
    So I stick to socks, hats, scarves, blankets. IF I do knit a sweater it is a top down raglan , and they are hard to foul up!

    ReplyDelete