Wednesday, May 22, 2013

It's The End! Well, Almost.

We are officially out of school next Friday, not THIS Friday, but next Friday. I cannot wait. The kids cannot wait. It seems like we are all just dragging through these last two weeks.

I planned some good activities to get us through, but honestly I have other things I would rather be doing. Not even mythology is holding my interest. We have been doing a lot of reading aloud, which is a nice change. We took a field trip to the Getty Villa as part of a Mother's Day outing with my mother-in-law. The kids actually got excited to see the gods and goddesses they've been reading about. Herakles was a big hit. So was Persephone.



The only problem was that the Greeks were, well, rather fascinated with the human form. Are you following me? Yes, most of the images were nudes. Uncircumcised nudes, as my husband so observantly pointed out. Let me tell you, there was a LOT of giggling. A lot! We got through it.

We topped off our day out with a visit to a little restaurant, more like a diner, called The Apple Pan in Santa Monica. We've seen this place on TV and finally got to visit. The seating is only around a counter. The cooks and prep people work in the center of the counter. The cash register is really old, one of the punch-button kind. Cash only!



The atmosphere is folksy, but intense. The man taking the orders was older, probably the manager, and very fast. The menu is limited so it isn't hard to decide what you want. I knew what I wanted. But, I hesitated. He who hesitates is lost! Or at least doesn't get to put in her drink order until everyone else is done. My husband pointed out to the man that he had skipped me and the man said, "I'll get her on the way back." Doh!

Ordering the food was the same. I was scurred! I made sure my daughter, seated next to me, knew what she wanted. When he asked what I wanted I told him. HE moved on. I realized I forgot to say I wanted cheese on my burger! But there was no way I was going to flag him down and request cheese. You know what? He was so intimidating that after he took all the orders, he looked down at me, asked if I wanted cheese, and I simply shook my head. There was no way I was going to amend my order! I had already blown the drink order process. I didn't want this man to think I was a total dunce!

The burger came and it was delicious, even without cheese. Eventually, I got my drink, cream soda in a bottle. This was definitely an interesting experience.

I made myself run when we got home to make up for all the calories and time in the car. The burger was worth it!





1 comment:

  1. What an interesting post. You do FUN things. I think you shoes are adorable.
    Sounds like a soup Nazi to me! Do you recall the seindfeld episode?

    ReplyDelete