Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Movies and Knitting

My house is quiet. Everyone is sleeping. I am awake enjoying the night. Carpe noctem! Ssh!



I am off my workout schedule already. Sad to say, but I think I overdid it last week. I have a persistent cramp in my calf whenever I run or even walk fast. Boo. I am focusing on weights this week instead. I have a weight bench and I do a circuit of different exercises that I do 15 reps, three times each. I am sore! But, I love the way my arms look after a session. I just need some good music! My weights are in the same room as the Xbox and I'm tired of sweating to Minecraft.



This summer I decided to catch up on some independent films. Netflix is the best resource for indie flicks! I know a lot of people watch movies for entertainment and escapism, but indie films go beyond this. I consider a movie good if I have an emotional connection to the plot and characters. I love watching a movie and then thinking about it for days after. If you don't watch a lot of indie films, start with Sunshine Cleaning Company, one of my favorites. Also, anything with Bill Murray that is not mainstream like Lost in Translation or Broken Flowers. Wonderful movies!

Today I continued my Jenna Fischer marathon by watching A Little Help. Honestly, this movie was horribly depressing. Totally a downer. Beware. This movie is not a comedy. Though Jenna Fischer plays this type of character well, I felt bummed out and low after I watched it. I thought this could be the prequel to the other Jenna Fischer movie I watched, The Giant Mechanical Man, which was way better. Watch both of them and let me know if you agree.



If you want to see a great Jenna Fischer indie flick, and also see Chris Messina in an amazing role, watch The Giant Mechanical Man. Big thumbs up! I was surprised by how much I like this movie. I had never heard of it and randomly picked it. I loved the plot and Chris Messina was perfect. I recognized him from Julie and Julia, Julie's husband. He is now one of my favorites! Topher Grace is another reason to see this movie. I love seeing someone unexpected in a movie, like Topher playing a horribly obnoxious author. It was awesome!

(If there is ever a movie made of my life (don't laugh, it could happen) I want Jenna Fischer to be me. I love her style of acting and making these quirky people seem so real. I say quirky, but goofball is also an acceptable classification. I used to say Drew Barrymore should be me in my life movie, but I watched Fever Pitch the other day and...nah, I don't think she could pull it off. Jimmy Fallon on the other hand, if I were a guy, would be perfect! But I digress...)

So, of course, I chose another Chris Messina movie to watch today, Ira and Abby. I sense a Woody Allenesque portrayal in his acting this time. He can pull it off. I enjoy Woody Allen films immensely so this doesn't bother me. I am not very far into the movie, but so far so good.

How do I have all this time to watch movies you ask? I started knitting a baby blanket for my sister and it requires long periods of sitting and working a fairly simple pattern. I breezed through my Mad Med episodes today, too. Wow, I love that show! I caught up with my Breaking Bad episodes on Netflix, but I'm not recording the newest season. I like to watch those continuously or I get stressed out!  Anyway, the point is that I need to entertain my brain while I'm knitting or I will fall asleep. Seriously!

We are now counting down to our WA vacation, less than three weeks to go. I am hoping to run the Golden Gate Bridge on our way up. We'll see. What have you been up to this summer? Seen any good movies?

1 comment:

  1. I love love love your movie thoughts. Thanks I am always on the lookout for good movies. I have to knit to SOMETHING too usually. IF I worked lace or intricate cables, then I wouldn t be able to knit and watch...
    but I usually LIKE to knit and watch..

    Have you seen BUCK? My favorite movie of last year??? Sundance film festival winner. ?? The story of Buck B. the true horse whisperer....
    fascinating

    ReplyDelete