Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Gluten Free Adventure Begins



I keep reading that a Gluten-Free diet is especially good for people with Hashimoto's disease. I've never been one to follow a fad diet. Well, except for that 1-month Atkins no carb craze that everybody tried. I mean, seriously, bacon every day? Oh, yeah! Anyway, I'm not into organics. I eat at McDonald's a few times a month. I love coffee. I'm just not down with any special kind of eating. Until now.

Going GF (gluten-free will now be referred to as GF) was a lot easier than I thought. GF food has come a long way since the first diagnoses. Many major brands, like Frito Lay, have an extensive product line of GF food. Yay! I love Fritos. I see GF hot dog buns and hamburger buns. There's tons of cereal and granola bars that are GF. I can Google GF recipes and hundreds of pages and blogs pop up. It's not hard! And the food is pretty good.

One thing you should know about me is that I love pancakes. LOVE. I eat them with syrup, with just butter, with strips of bacon cooked in them, any which way. I love pancakes! I also love waffles, pancake's quicker to make cousin. My kids love waffles, too. Imagine my disappointment upon going GF that I could no longer eat waffles for breakfast. Tragedy! After a few days of feeling so deprived I headed to Sprouts, sure that I could find a mix for them, if not a box of frozen waffles GF. Success!

This morning I was ridiculously excited to be eating Van's GF Apple Cinnamon waffles. So good! Toasted nice and crunchy with a pat of butter, heaven! I should mention, though, they are a tad expensive. For a box of six waffles, I paid about $4, yikes. But it's an investment in my happiness and well-being so it's worth it. I noticed, too, that one serving of these waffles was over 200 calories, which is not something I would normally eat for breakfast. I like to have a lot more calories from protein for breakfast, but to eat these waffles, I might only eat some fruit with them.

Going GF as another side benefit that I'm enjoying for now: I don't have to make dinner. My DH is cooking dinner for himself and the kids, bonus! At least while I get my own recipes and food figured out. Shouldn't we all be eating GF if it's healthy and delicious? That would be easier for me. I don't want to cook two dinners. Even more than that, I don't want to cook food that I can't eat it! He made Italian sausage subs last night that smelled so good my mouth was watering! I don't eat processed meat or mushrooms, though, and didn't have any GF buns, so whatever. I had cereal. It sucked. That just shows I need to do my homework and get some GF dinner recipes!

So what's on your menu today? GF or not I would love to hear about it! I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment