Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year, Whoop-De-Doo

Happy New Year!  A little late, but nonetheless. I hope you had a great start to 2014.

We are back to homeschooling today. Yay for the routine! I'm happy to get started again. Our vacation was very busy, but we were all sick for the last half of it and that was no fun. Life goes on. Here are some highlights.

(This is more of a lowlight) My hypothyroidism is in full swing and I checked in with my doctor for higher meds last month. My thyroid disease is Hashimoto's thyroiditis and there are so many issues involved. It's an auto-immune disease which means my body is attacking itself. Nice.  I found out I am headed toward high cholesterol and prediabetes. Ugh!

Jigga what? That cannot be right! I eat right! I exercise! My thyroid has other plans. Dang it! I am becoming that which I swore to never become: organic. Yes. My first step is going Gluten Free.  I am doing what I always do and reading everything I can to help myself. I am Gluten Free as of last week. I am taking six different vitamins a day. I have upped my exercise time to 60 minutes instead of 30. I'm doing a walk/run interval instead of just running so I can go longer. Changes all around.

Honestly, it has been a week Gluten-Free and I do feel better. It's worth the effort. I am starting out with some cereal, bread, granola bars, and tortillas all GF. I am eating a major salad with chicken breast for lunch. I am chugging smoothies after I walk instead of just milk. I haven't prepared any big dinners for myself, mostly chicken breast and veggies like sweet potatoes and salad. I am making a stir-fry tonight. I don't feel deprived and my body is losing that bloated look. Success!

Here are some other interesting things.

For homeschooling, we just started a unit study on Island of the Blue Dolphins. Please tell me you've read this amazing book! I read it many times when I was younger and absolutely love it. I'm hoping my kids will enjoy our time with it.

I watched an intense documentary on Netflix and I encourage you to check it out. "Blackfish" is about the killer whales at Sea World and it will blow your mind. No, it's not a behind-the-scenes documentary. It details the incidents of killer whales attacking trainers and why OSHA forbids Sea World to now have any trainers in the water with the whales. I was on the edge of my seat during the whole thing! Big thumbs up!



Maybe a suspenseful documentary isn't for you. How about one of my favorite genre, independent films. "Girl Most Likely" is a must-see. I am a big fan of Kristen Wiig and she really shines in this movie. I laughed so much during this one! You have to see it.



Have you seen anything good lately?

3 comments:

  1. Loved Blackfish and the attention it brought to the issues of containing large mammals …..just watched 20 minutes from Stardom documentary! LOVED it.

    Hooray for you and your GF. If you have to break away one day…and I don't want you to, but you haven't really lived in the pancake world if you haven't had
    cornmeal pancakes. You buy the JIFFY corn muffin mix and follow the recipe on the side of the box. The FIREMEN bowed down to my husband after he made them these. WE love cornmeal pancakes…mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I know this is seriously LATE, but your mention of Blackfish brought me here!
    I saw this not long ago- wow. I wanted to be blown away, but working in rescue you see all kinds of horrible things people do to animals so I wasn't surprised. It was incredibly sad. I wish people would put breathing things above the almighty dollar. Sad.
    **Side note, good luck on the GF. I'd likely die as I suck at dieting at all! Portion control is a huge effort for me along with my ACE or I'd be 500 lbs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Angela! I agree, let's put breathing things above money. Absolutely!

      GF is going ok. It takes a monumental effort sometimes though.

      Delete